LUSoM Sanctuary for Ukraine Admissions Pathway: September 2022 entry
Lancaster University School of Mathematics (LUSoM) recognises the unique and challenging situation relating to Ukrainian citizens displaced by the Russian conflict in Ukraine.
LUSoM offers a unique environment for students aged 16-19 with an enthusiasm and aptitude for mathematics. We provide an academically stimulating, welcoming and safe community in which young mathematicians thrive.
LUSoM is still accepting applications for September 2022 entry and we are happy to permit students from Ukraine who are seeking sanctuary in the UK to make an application to the school through a special route in conjunction with the other Maths Schools.
The application route will involve:
• A mathematical aptitude assessment through sitting the mathematics admissions test and an interview
• An English language assessment at interview
• An assessment of the applicant’s residential and parental situation.
The application route is open to Ukrainian citizens who left (or are planning to leave) Ukraine following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on 24 February 2022.
LUSoM is working in partnership with the specialist maths schools in Exeter (EMS), Liverpool (ULMS) and King’s, London (KCLMS) to enable placement of students in this position. Candidates are advised to apply to all four schools separately but will be made aware at the point of application that the schools will work together to place students who meet our admissions criteria.
Applications will be accepted for September 2022 entry into year 12 only. The mathematical aptitude assessments will assess candidates against the same criteria as used for our standard application route. We will consider for a Sanctuary Offer candidates who:
• meet the required score for entry, meaning that they are at least as strong as those already holding offers at LUSoM;
• demonstrate sufficient mastery of English language (listening, speaking, reading, writing) to be able to access life and learning at LUSoM independently.
Any Sanctuary Offers made by LUSoM will be conditional on the student:
• being in England for the start of the 2022-23 academic year;
• having residential arrangements and a parent/carer resident with them, at a location from which daily travel to and from LUSoM is possible.
We will work with EMS, ULMS and KCLMS to ensure that as many candidates meeting the above criteria as possible have offers to study at one of the schools.
Applying to Lancaster University School of Maths
Students interested in applying to Lancaster University School of Mathematics can access the application form here.
Applying to other maths schools
Students interested in applying to Exeter Mathematics School should contact the school to ask about a late application pathway.
Students interested in applying to King’s Maths School can apply here.